Basket 0

Types of hair loss

Male Pattern Hair Loss is the cause of 95% of hair loss in men. It generally manifests itself as a receding hair line to start with or a thinning patch at the crown. However, if your hair loss is not following this pattern, you may be in the remaining 5% of those whose hair loss is due to an underlying cause such as a hormonal imbalance, an auto-immune disease, sudden trauma or side-effects from medication such as those used in chemotherapy.

  • Male Pattern Hair Loss
  • Alopecia Areata
  • Telogen Eflluvium
  • Traction Alopecia

MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS

Male Pattern Hair Loss is a genetic problem. It can be passed on from either parents’ genes. It arises when DHT causes the healthy hair strands to fall out and be replaced by thinner, colourless, more fragile hair. This ‘peach fuzz’ makes the hair look thinner, lifeless, eventually leads to bald patches and ultimately, hair loss. If the hair follicles atrophy and die, the scalp will appear smooth, tight and shiny.

The Norwood Scale figure below has been devised to help you assess the extent of your hair loss.

ALOPECIA AREATA

When hair starts to fall out in random patches over the head or the beardline, the most likely cause is Alopecia Areata. This arises when the body’s own immune system attacks the hair follicles resulting in hairless patches the size and shape of a coin or larger. It can occur at any age, and without warning.

TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM

This type of hair loss is generally due to anaemia (low iron levels), inadequate protein, thyroid issues, surgery or illness. These causes can trigger sudden and great loss of hair. It is initially noticed when brushing the hair – large clumps will be found in the hair brush. When the cause is treated, Telogen Effluvium can often be successfully reversed – often without treatment.

TRACTION ALOPECIA

This is most frequently seen in people who constantly braid their hair tightly to the scalp. The excessive pulling weakens the hair follicles, causes permanent damage and prevents regrowth of hair

Getting Started